START 2020 WITH AN IDEA TO CHANGE THE WORLD.
WHAT IS START?
START is an Atlantic wide sustainable innovation pitch competition for anyone creating new value with bioresources. START is open to individuals, startups, and existing businesses who need support to develop their idea, to beta-test solutions, and to bring their idea to market.
Applications are open from January 6, 2020 until February 29, 2020. Five finalists will be invited to pitch at Atlantic BIOCON in May 2020 with the winner taking home $25,000 and access to commercialization opportunities.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
Anyone from any industry or sector across Atlantic Canada can apply for a chance to win the $25,000 and gain access to commercialization opportunities. Your idea must create new value using bioresources.
Examples of value-added innovation in the biocircular economy are:
– Creating new products from natural resources (eg. wood fibre, seaweed, etc.)
– Creating new products from waste or byproduct materials (eg. municipal solid waste, fly ash, etc.)
– Capturing and storing greenhouse gasses from the atmosphere
– Capturing biogas from landfills
– Creating energy from biomass materials
WHY SHOULD I APPLY?
The winning individual or business will receive a $25,000 cash prize with access to commercialization opportunities through introductions to partner organizations, prospective investors, and industry experts. The prize is awarded to one winner but the goal of START is to find many ideas that could all benefit from commercialization opportunities.